The Econic. Taking responsibility.
Towns are growing. As too are the demands placed on mobility, logistics, the environment and quality of life. Our answer to this is a commercial vehicle which is up to the challenge. It is powerful and efficient whilst also delivering the greatest possible safety for all road users. It delivers sustainable solutions to the growing emissions burden in urban areas and makes for optimum working conditions for driver and crew alike.
The Econic takes responsibility. With powerful powertrains, the bodybuilder-friendly truck offers decisively better safety with its unique DirectVision cab featuring panoramic glazing and clever assistance systems. With ergonomic entry and exiting, intuitively arranged instruments and, last but not least, the optionally available natural gas engine, you can enjoy unrestricted access to environmental zones. Looking to the future together.
Ergonomics and safety.
Active health and safety at work thanks to low entry. On every journey.
Good work starts with a comfortable workplace. And that's exactly how the Econic has been designed – to provide perfect support to the driver. The low entry is a great example of this: simple entry, comfortable standing room in the cab interior and an inward-opening folding door which allows colleagues to enter and exit the vehicle on the side of the road furthest from the traffic – all of which relieve strain on the driver during their daily work. What's more, an ergonomic seat, intuitively arranged instruments, a steering wheel with multifunction buttons and a clear dashboard all make for health-conscious working conditions.
Chassis - The chassis has been designed to be particularly bodybuilder-friendly. Wheelbases from 3450 mm to 5700 mm, permissible gross weights of between 18 t and 32 t, a broad selection of axle variants and favourable positioning of major assemblies mean that the Econic is perfectly suited to a wide range of sectors and tasks.
- - Diesel. The modern 6-cylinder diesel engines fitted to the Econic come with either a basic output of 200 kW (272 hp) at 2200 rpm and a maximum torque of 1200 Nm between 1200 and 1600 rpm, or with a top performance of 260 kW (354 hp) at 2200 rpm and a maximum torque of 1400 Nm in the nominal engine speed range between 1200 and 1600 rpm.
- - Gas engine. As an alternative, the Econic can be equipped with the M936G gas engine. And that makes it an especially environmentally-friendly choice: during the combustion of natural gas, hardly any particulate emissions and soot are released. What's more, combustion of natural gas also produces around 20 percent less CO2. And using biogas even neutralises the CO2 balance sheet entirely. A further decisive advantage is that the gas engine of the Econic NGT runs particularly quietly and efficiently. Thus ensuring the best-possible conditions for daily municipal applications, waste disposal operations and urban logistics tasks.
Depending on the intended field of operations, you can order the Econic with either the fully automatic Allison 6-speed transmission, or the semi-automated PowerShift transmission.
The Econic combines economic operations with respect for the environment in exemplary fashion. Besides the efficient Euro 6 diesel engines, the Econic is also available with an innovative natural gas drive system which offers both an extremely quiet and especially low-emission solution in a single package. Combustion of natural gas produces around 20 percent less CO2. This means you can enjoy unrestricted access to environmental zones. And using biogas even neutralises the CO2 balance sheet entirely. In doing so, the Econic brings a sense of responsibility to the road which people have come to expect of modern companies.
- The low-entry concept means that there are only two steps up into the cab, making getting in and out much easier and safer than in virtually any other commercial vehicle. Also good for the back and the joints is the full air suspension with raising and lowering function on all axles.
- The Econic allows drivers to encounter other road users, such as pedestrians and cyclists, at eye level. The low seating position of the driver, the generously glazed cab and the additional safety assistance systems make for a great view of the road and pavements in all directions – and compared with regular trucks, that's a great advantage in busy inner cities and complex situations.
- In terms of anticipatory driving and prevention, the Econic is a decisive step ahead of conventional trucks. And that has to do with its low seating position and the panoramic glazing of the cab, plus the fact that the Econic can be equipped with as many as ten safety assistance systems. With the aid of cameras, sensors and additional lighting systems, the driver can concentrate on the most important tasks – even in situations which require utmost concentration: in lively city traffic, when turning, manoeuvring and reversing, or in the case of a tailback being just behind a blind bend.
- Whatever you have planned to do with your Econic, its spacious cab offers great freedom of movement and its well-engineered design delivers the best possible working conditions. Depending on the field of operation, there's room for up to three passengers. Ideal for frequent stops: when pulling away, the folding door on the co-driver's side closes automatically. Depending on the field of operation, a hinged door can also be installed. Furthermore, you can choose between a high and a low cab height.
Individual solutions for every type of operation.
A low or a high cab. Diesel or natural gas. Four different axle variants and wheelbases ranging from 3450 to 5700 mm. The Econic is perfectly suited to the most varied of sectors and tasks. But it wouldn't be a Mercedes-Benz truck if it didn't go one step further in the case of specific requirements. Besides the high-quality vehicles manufactured as part of volume series production, complex bodies and individual solutions to suit your everyday tasks can also be obtained from Mercedes-Benz Custom Tailored Trucks (CTT): this might include anything from displacing a single component, right up to highly-complex axle modifications. Order a system built to the same standards as in series production but which completely fulfils your own criteria.
Areas of application.
At home everywhere.
The Econic. A partner that adapts perfectly to the most varied of business sectors and tasks. A unique concept which was consistently developed for practical operations: the Econic is a modern, low-entry vehicle capable of tackling the tough challenges a truck must face. It makes work more efficient and is a step ahead of its time – be that for municipal applications, refuse collection and short-radius distribution or even a whole host of other operations.
At A Glance:
- Public service sector. Driving through the morning rush hour, turning into tight residential streets packed full of parked cars, rapid unloading of bins and containers, and then moving on to the next location. Waste disposal is an important aspect of the modern closed-loop economy. It is hard work and requires great care, attention and power. Which is why the Econic has been specifically designed to make life easier. Getting in and out is gentle on the back. The modern cockpit, innovative assistance systems and the expanded field of vision through the panoramic glazing and folding door make for both greater driving comfort and improved safety. And the cab has enough room for up to four people. No wonder then that experienced professionals value their new colleague so highly.
- Short-radius distribution. Buying fresh fruit and vegetables in the organic shop, picking up the medicine you ordered on the same afternoon, riding your bike to your favourite restaurant. Life has picked up speed. As too has the need for short-radius distribution. And it doesn't just need to be clean, it should also be efficient and economic too. Not to mention safe. Especially because things are getting a little cramped on our roads. Here, the Econic can demonstrate the true qualities of its DirectVision cab. Allows you to keep an eye – and a hand – on the situation at all times. Impresses with sustainable drive solutions. And gets goods to their destination peacefully and punctually.
- Fire & rescue. When the fire bell rings, every second counts. That's why every single movement of your crew has to be spot-on. The Econic makes sure that no precious time is lost. Just two small steps make for easy entering and exiting of the cab. The Allison automatic transmission saves time shifting and offers utmost driving comfort. When manoeuvring through lively city traffic and streets full of parked cars, the driver's low seating position and all-round glazing mean that they constantly have a great overview of the situation at hand. This ensures the greatest possible level of safety and speed when things start heating up.
- Construction site transportation. Our cities are growing. The world over. The Econic is on-hand day in, day out. And it already meets tomorrow's safety standards today. Because that's the reason it was designed like it was. From the panoramic windscreen to the glazed folding door on the co-driver's side which reaches down to the ground: the direct view of the traffic and the construction site is almost unhindered. Something which cyclists and pedestrians will be grateful of. After all, it's much better to see them and avoid getting into danger in the first place.
- Airport. Many passengers, thousands of flights and innumerable processes, all of which must be perfectly intertwined with one another: flight operations are a real logistic challenge. The Econic fits perfectly into the ground support team. The low cab can fit under the vast majority of aircraft wings, ranging from the Boeing 737 to the Airbus A380. Positioning the major assemblies behind the cab creates a vehicle which is extremely bodybuilder-friendly. And it's precisely this that makes the Econic such a multi-talent. Refuelling, catering or with a scissor-type medical lift to provide assistance to wheelchair users and passengers who must be transported in a lying position. Taking an alternative route, prioritising certain flights, or a change to the planned parking position – ensuring the success of airlines above the clouds needs rapid solutions on the ground. Thanks to the standard automatic transmission, drivers can concentrate wholly on their surroundings. Meanwhile, the panoramic glazing also allows the driver to keep everything well in sight. Aeroplanes, ground handling vehicles, employees. It's a professional among professionals.
From engine performance figures and dimensions right up to axle variants, all of the important technical data can be found here at a glance.
Find Out More
Highlights and other facts.
Precisely the right Econic for your requirements.
Well and truly in the focal point is the vehicle's ground-breaking cab concept: the DirectVision cab. With panoramic glazing, low entry and exiting, exemplary ergonomics and intuitive control systems, the Econic is equipped to relieve the driver's stressful working day as much as possible. Meanwhile, the Econic also deserves respect for its environmentally friendly engines. Be it for municipal operations, refuse collection or short-radius distribution, or a whole host of other applications: The Econic is ahead of its time.